Sunday 14 June 2009

Kreuzberg



Today Naomi and I went for a walk from Rough Kreuzberg (my preferred part of town) to Posh Kreuzberg, stopping off to sit at the river. I fed the swans a whole half-loaf of bread I had bought. They were eating it out of my hand and nearly made my fingers bleed...I don't know why ducks are more adept at eating from a hand than swans. Then we went to one of the abandoned buildings on a list of 'urban exploration sites' I have found. It's an old brewery in Posh Kreuzberg and I had seen photos of the inside on the internet. BUT we couldn't get inside at all - padlocks everywhere and bricked up doors and windows. We got through the fences, dodged the security guard in his little hut....but just couldn't get in. The place is typical of what is becoming of Berlin............the old being swallowed up by.................GENTRIFICATION (hahah, Tom, I bet you knew that word was coming). The building is being converted into awful new flats. I bet I will go there in six months and barely recognise the place. But, anyway, it was a great discovery, hidden right in the heart of town.

P.S. I don't think this blog site makes it all that clear that I share this page with two of my friends......so I don't have a love for Linux (that's obviously Martin writing that), and I don't have an even greater love for someone called Jimmy McNulty or a new tattoo (Em!)

P.P.S. It may be apparent that I am always wearing the same clothes in photographs.........that is because I am DOWN AND OUT IN BERLIN and will be writing a better sequel to Orwell's crappy book of a similar title.



2 comments:

  1. lis i love that you're blogging all seriously and mart and i are just posting random shit! you can see it's a shared blog because it lists the three of us as contributors at the top on the right.

    photos are ace babe. shame you couldn't get in :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, i think it's about as serious as Martin's folk ale blog!
    we DID get into a better building, though. Tomorrow I buy a headtorch! x

    ReplyDelete